After installing VisionProject onto your live server we recommend setting up an additional test environment. This step is optional but strongly recommended and what most of our customers do.
The benefit of this is that you can try things out before applying them to the live environment. Most importantly, to test out new versions of VisionProject and upgrading the test environment before the live environment i.e. to make sure everything goes smoothly when you upgrade of the live environment. If you run upgrades on your live environment directly and not on the test environment first, then there could be problems in your live environment that may be harder to fix.
Other benefits are:
- New features can be tested first before giving all your users access to them.
- New configurations, filters or data structures can be tested before applying this to the live environment
- New modules that you've purchased can be tested and configured before moving it to the live environment
Setting up a test environment
Setting up a test environment is quite straight forward:
- Follow the installation instruction steps 1-4 and install VisionProject on a separate server/pc (not the same server as you are running the live environment on)
- Take a copy of your live database and files
- Overwrite the test server webapp files and database with the files and database from the live environment
- This is the important step: Change critical data / configuration in the test environment by:
Remove all email addresses in the users table by executing the SQL Update statement :
UPDATE SystemUser SET Email = '', EnableEmailNotifications = 0, AdditionalEmailAddresses=''
Disable all email ticket systems in the MailSettings table
UPDATE MailSetting SET EnableMailfetching = 0, MailUserName = ''
Disable "Search subscriptions" and "Contract subscriptions"
UPDATE JobSchedule SET NextRunDate = NULL
Disable SMS Settings to prevent sending sms and clean cell phones :
UPDATE SMSSettings SET IsActive = 0; UPDATE SystemUser SET CellPhone = null;
Disable EWS settings to prevent synchronization on the test :
UPDATE ExchangeWebServicesSettings SET Running = 0
- This also is an important step: If you copy the installation file from your live environment (i.e. all files), you must change your properties files on the test server, by :
- Change the VisionProject.propoperties file and change all file paths, such as the ones for your documents and indexes.
- Change the VisionProject_database.properties file to guarantee that you don't use the same database as your live server
Please note step 4 above, this is important otherwise VisionProject may send out emails to normal users when you test the system, or fetch emails from different email accounts.
Also please note step 5 above, since it is important that the test server doesn't use the same database settings or document file paths.
Recommendations when upgrading to a new version
- Make sure you have an test environment identical to the live environment as much as you can, see above
- Prior to an upgrade make sure that the test environment above is up-to-date with the latest database and configuration files.
- Don't forget step 4. in "Setting up a test environment" above
- Test upgrading the trial environment to the new version of VisionProject, and also try out the most common features to see that all is well.
- Before doing the upgrade on the actual live environment to see that VisionProject works well first. If not, then contact us and send along screen shots, log files and collect as much information as possible.
- Plan upgrades of the live environment well ahead of time, so that step 3. can be completed before and so that any problems or questions can be addressed ahead of time by our tech team ahead of time.
- If you need our tech team available for an upgrade to stand by and assist quickly, or assist during the actual upgrade, then you will need to schedule their availability. While the support team work during weekends, our tech team doesn't.
- Make sure you have a backup ready so that you can roll back easily if an upgrade fails for whatever reason.