The default Product field have its configuration in the Issue field configuration page
Go to the edit issue field configuration page (General - Settings - Issue configuration - Issue fields) for the configuration used by your project.
Look up the Product issue field. You'll note that it now has a small edit icon.
Click on edit, to open the config item/project setting dialog:
(Some of these options are mutually exclusive, and choosing one grays out some of the others)
- Show child nodes for this node: This allows you to set Product to only choose from subsets of the entire Config Item tree. Select one or more nodes in the tree combo list. All nodes/items below the selected ones will be available in the Product issue field.
- Use the Product on the project as root: This setting will make the Product field only show child nodes of the configuration item selected in the field "Product" in the project info section, if any. This makes it easy to have a different project for each product and its sub-items in a larger product palette (the whole Product tree)
- Show only nodes of this type: This allows you to limit the available config item types. So if you want your Product issue field to be limited to only show Products and Services (but not other types of configuration items), you can. Check which types to show in the checkbox combo list. No selection means the same as "all types". Preexisting Product fields from before version 7.5 will have this setting set to "Product" only. But you can now change it if you want.
- Show only products/CI for the company: If this is selected, the Product field will only show the products/items the user's company is connected to (via a contract). The user will then only see products/CIs on the field that are set on contracts where the company that the user belongs to is set as "Customer".
- Show only products/CI for the user: If this is selected, the Product field will only show the products/items the user is directy connected (via a contract). The user will then only see products/CIs on the field that are set on contracts where the user is set as "User".
- Show linked nodes as subnodes: If this is selected, the product/CI tree that is shown when opening the Product field will show CIs linked to a given node as subnodes under that node. The linked "subnodes" has a link icon to tell them apart from actual subnodes of the given product/CI.
- Set owner group on product issues to the group set in the "Supportedby" field: If this is selected, the "Owner group" of issues that has a Product set, will be set with the user group set in the "Supported by" field on the product/CI. This is useful if you want to assign issues to different user groups depending on which product/CI is set. For example, If you have the "Gizmo Support" user group set as 'Supported by' on the "Gizmo" product, then you can make sure that all incoming support issues tagged as gizmo is handled by the correct support group.